Thursday, May 03, 2007

A good day for finding retro consoles.

Lets take a break from preparations for the Dreamcast Summer Games shall we?

Well to start this story let me tell you that my old SNES had finally had it. I literally torn the thing apart to see if I could fix it to no avail. ...


-A quick point. Melting a disposable clear hard plastic bic pen DOES work to open the screws in a SNES. AS LONG AS YOU ARE CAREFUL!


-Just take apart the pen and heat the end of the pen shaft and jam it into the hole. Let it sit for a bit then pull it out. The end will have melted around the screw and made a cheap screwdriver that will take out the outside casing screws. It will only last for about 2 of the screws though. Then you will have to do it again. Be careful with dropping melted plastic! You ony need to HEAT the pen, NOT set it a-flame. Better than trying to find one of those crazy screwdrivers though. This CAN hurt the outside of your SNES, discolor it and destroy it's value. I recommend you ONLY do this if the SNES is completely shot and you do not care about burn marks or breaking it more than it already is broke.

Any-who... even though I took the entire damn thing apart I could find no error. This made me sad.

However I was hopeful when I went inside a consignment shop and saw they had one for sale, AND a 16 bit Megadrive WITH Sega CD!!!! Joy to the whole friggen' world!!!



Then I saw it...

...IT...

The one thing that is on almost EVERY Retro gamers top ten list...

The OFFICIAL top loading NES version 2 (or 101).



This beauty is the wish of every person who owns one of the original NES systems that cannot read carts correctly anymore. Using cutting edge SMS technology this slimmed down beauty plays any NES game with ease.

Honestly the rarity of this item made equal with the awesomeness of the Sega CD. The Sega CD is Retro, but this item is Retro AND rare. A treat.

So there you have it. With Trade-ins of a PSone and a N64 I paid $10 for each of these consoles.

A SNES a NES 2 and a Megadrive with Sega CD. All with controllers and two controllers each. (found out later that one SNES controller is broke) All for $30.00...

I tell you it pays to make contacts with people. And to know which shopkeepers doesn't know what video game consoles are really worth. I must have visited that store about 25 times in about 7 months without finding much. To get such a deal is greatness.

The NES is still not as cool as the Dreamcast though...at this point it may be on my top ten list of cool stuff I own but it is not on the top of that list yet.

3 comments:

Porroe said...

Excellent find, are they PAL or US??

Caleb said...

NSTC all the way.

fatherkrishna said...

AMAZING find Caleb! St. Anthony has truly blessed you...